music equalizer

Thread: Syke account hacked

Skype account hacked

Hi everyone. I think my Skype account has been hacked. When I try to log in it says my password is incorrect, and I can't get my password resent to my email account. I don't know how my account could get hacked as I haven't sent my details to anyone and my password wasn't something anyone would be able to guess.
    Can I get my account back, and if not what can I do to stop it happening again?
    Last edited by Hugo6; 07-28-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Try contacting Skype and explaining the situation, hopefully they'll be able to help.

Unfortunately, it can be quite easy to hack someone's Skype account by doing something called 'doxing'.
    People do this by contacting a Skype agent pretending to be you. The agent will ask them questions such as your email address, location, account name etc. A lot of this information can either be found directly on Skype (many people have their email address public), or it can be found by looking for you on other sites such as Facebook.
    To avoid this happening you can:
    1. Create a new email address that you use for less sensitive things. Have a separate email account for banking etc.
    2. Use different usernames on different sites - this will make it harder for people to find out info about you from different sources.
    3. Use a fake name, or just your first name.
    4. Avoid giving out information to strangers who add you on Skype.

I contacted Skype but it's too late to get my account back now. Thankfully it was already linked to an unimportant email address. Thanks for all the advice, I'll be much more careful in the future.