music equalizer

Thread: Remove unwanted types from Right Click + New

Remove unwanted types from Right Click + New

When I right click and select New in Windows 8 there are a lot of file types offered such as Access Database, Publisher Document, etc. Sometimes I click on them by accident when I only want to create a new Word Document or spreadsheet. How can I remove items from the Right Click + New list in Windows 8?
    Thanks for your help.

One solution is to use CCleaner (free to download). Once you’ve installed it, open CCleaner, click on Tool, then Startup, then Context Menu. You can remove the items you don’t need.

Here’s how to remove unwanted items without downloading any new software:
    1. Open Run by right-clicking in the bottom left corner of the screen.
    2. Type regedit and hit enter.
    3. Click on the little arrow next to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to show all the folders
    4. Then find the document type you want to remove, expand that folder and delete the folder called ShellNew

If you can’t find the file type to delete in the list because you don’t know the file extension (for example .doc), here’s how to find the file extension of what you want to delete from the list:
    1. Right-click on the desktop or in a folder and select New then choose the document type you want to remove from the list. Click on it to create a new document of that type.
    2. Right-click on the new document and select Properties.
    3. Under ‘Type of File’ it will have the name of the file type as well as the extension, for example Journal Document (.jnt)
    Hope this is helpful to you.