music equalizer

Thread: How can I share the internet using a crossover cable?

How can I share the internet using a crossover cable?

Hi everyone.
    I have a crossover cable to connect different laptops, and I’d like to use it to share the internet. One of my laptops (Windows 7) is connected to the internet using wireless. The other (XP) does not have an internet connection.
    Does anyone know how to share the internet using a crossover cable?

First you should start both machines and connect them with the crossover cable. On the Windows 7 machine open command prompt and type in ipconfig /all and hit Enter. Note down the IP, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway.
    Then, on the XP machine, open the LAN properties by going to Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection > Properties. Now manually, click on ‘Use the following IP address’, and enter the IP, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway, changing the last 100 of the IP address to 102.
    Now open the same Network Connections window on the Windows 7 machine and click on ‘Use the following IP address’, and enter the IP, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway, changing the last 100 of the IP address to 103.
    After waiting a few moments for the settings to take effect, open Control Panel >Network and Internet>Network Connections on the Windows 7 machine, find the two connections you want to join, highlight them and right-click selecting ‘Bridge connections’. You may need to wait a while for this process to complete.
    Finally, go back to the XP machine and open the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Network Connections > right-click on connection and click Properties > General > Networking > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties. Once this Windows is open, untick ‘Use the following IP Address’ and tick ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ instead.
    I hope this works for you and that you’re able to share your connection using a crossover cable.

Thanks for the tutorial, I can now share my internet connection using a crossover cable.