music equalizer

Thread: What's the difference between Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Pro VL?

What's the difference between Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Pro VL?

The title is quite self-explanatory.

I'd like to know what the difference is between Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Pro VL.

Also, how do these versions compare with Windows 8 N?

What are the pros and cons of each version?

Thank you.

Hi,

The 'VL' in Windows 8 VL stands for Volume License. This lets a single OS be used in multiple installations with the same key. This is more useful if you are installing Windows 8 on many computers at a business.

The 'N' version does not include Windows Media Player, so you'd need to install a media player separately, which isn't difficult.

Windows 8 Pro is aimed at business and power users. It lets you use a Windows Server domain, receive Remote Desktop connections, and supports Encrypting File System, Group Policy, Virtual Hard Disk Booting, and Hyper-V.

There certainly seem to be a lot of different Windows 8 versions, especially if you count both 32 and 64-bit versions as well as all the Enterprise and Pro editions.
    I'll try to simplify things:

VL = Volume License. This means you can activate the same copy multiple times. Windows 8 Enterprise tends to be VL, but sometimes Windows 8 Pro is VL too.

N = No Windows Media Player. You can still install Windows Media Player on Windows 8 N machines, but you need to buy it separately. Given that there are plenty of good free media players, there's no real need to buy a PC with Windows Media Player on it.

The different Windows 8 versions are: Windows RT, Windows 8 (core/basic), Windows 8 Pro, and Windows 8 Enterprise.

Windows RT is the version of Windows for the Microsoft Surface tablet. It doesn't have all the features of Windows 8, and only supports apps from Windows Store. The Surface does come with Microsoft Office though, and the software pre-bundled on the Surface Pro 2 is worth more than the tablet's retail price.

Windows 8 is the standard Core/Basic Windows 8 version that consumer PCs and Laptops come with.

Windows 8 Pro is to Windows 8 what Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate are to Windows 7. This edition is aimed at business users and power users.

Windows 8 Enterprise, like Windows 8 Pro, is aimed at businesses. It has extra features, however, like Windows To Go and BranchCache which are useful to IT departments running Microsoft services.

Thanks a lot for clarifying the differences and the pros and cons.

I've decided to choose a standard Windows 8 machine, as I don't think I need the features of Windows 8 Pro.