music equalizer
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 tips and tricks

Windows 8 tips and tricks

I’d like to start a new post for people to share Windows 8 tips and tricks.
    Lots of people find this operating system difficult to adjust to, so it would be great if we can all help each other out.

I’ll start with some tips for using the Start screen.

Windows 8 as a whole is easier to use on a touchscreen device or tablet, however, there are lots of ways you can navigate the Start screen using a mouse and keyboard:
    • Spinning the mouse wheel (if your mouse has one) will move you back and forth between different apps.
    • The Home and End keys let you flick from the start to the end of the Start screen and back.
    • The Page Up and Page Down keys also let you move quickly along the Start screen.
    • You can also use the <^> arrows to navigate the screen almost as if it were a computer game.

I hope these help make Windows 8 easier to use.
    Last edited by Carlos001; 03-03-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Customize your Windows 8 Start Screen

You can organize apps on the Windows 8 Start screen by putting them into your own custom groups.

Here’s how:
    1. Drag all the apps you want to put into a group to form a block.
    2. Click on the little ‘-‘ symbol in the screen’s lower right-hand corner, which will zoom out.
    3. Now right-click on the block and click on ‘Name group’ in the screen’s lower left-hand corner.

Access the Control Panel, Command Prompt, etc. quickly and easily in Windows 8

Windows 8 has a ‘Quick Access menu’ which makes it easy to access things like the Device Manager quickly.

To open it, right-click in the lower left-hand corner, or type Windows Key + x

Here's a list of the things the Quick Access menu lets you access:
    Programs and Features
    Mobility Center
    Power Options
    Even Viewer
    System
    Device Manager
    Disk Management
    Computer Management
    Command Prompt
    Command Prompt (Admin)
    Task Manager
    Control Panel
    File Explorer
    Search
    Run
    Desktop

This Quick Access menu is the easiest way to access lots of these things in Windows 8, and goes some way to making up for the lack of the Start button.

Find programs in Windows 8

I agree that the Quick Access menu is useful for accessing things like Control Panel in Windows 8, but it doesn’t give you a list of programs (unlike the Windows 7 Start menu).

To get a list of your applications in Windows 8, go to the Start Screen and type Ctrl + Tab.

If you start typing in the name of the program you’re looking for, it will come up.

If you use a program a lot and it isn’t on the Start Screen you can pin it there by finding it, right-clicking on it, and selecting ‘Pin to Start’.
    To add a program to your task bar just search for it from the Start Screen, right click on it, and select ‘Pin to Taskbar’.

Shut Windows 8 down

Thanks to everyone for all the great Windows 8 tips and tricks.

Here's how to do something that should be very simple: shut Windows 8 down.

When I first got Windows 8 I couldn’t work out how to shut it down!

Here’s how to shut down Windows 8 and turn off your computer:
    Move the mouse to the screen’s lower right-hand corner.
    Click on the cog/wheel symbol (‘Settings’)
    Click on Power
    Click on Shut Down
    I don’t know why Microsoft made it so complicated to shut Windows 8 down!

A handy keyboard shortcut to switch Windows 8 off is to go to the Desktop and then type Alt+f4, which will bring up a Windows 7-style shutdown window.

Another quick way to shut down Windows 8 is to change the power settings so that pressing the power button will shut the machine down.
    To do this, right-click on the power icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen and select ‘Power Options’. Now click on ‘Choose what the power buttons do’. Now you can change the settings next to ‘When I press the power button’ so that pressing the power button will shut down your Windows 8 computer.

Thanks for the tips!

I can't find Solitaire or Freecell on Windows 8. Where are they?

Keyboard shortcuts in Windows 8

Here are some essential keyboard shortcuts to get you whizzing around your machine:
    (Please note: the Windows key is the key with the Windows logo in the bottom-left corner of the keyboard)

• Windows Key takes you to the start screen
    • Windows Key + D takes you to the desktop. Hitting this shortcut again will return you to the last window you had open.
    • Windows Key + E this opens Explorer to find files and dfolders
    • Windows Key + M this minimizes all your desktop applications and takes you to the desktop
    • On Windows 8 tablets you can take a screenshot by hitting the Windows button and the down-volume button at the same time.
    • Windows Key + F search for a file or folder
    • Windows Key + W search in system settings
    • Windows + R opens up a Run command box. This is good if you need to access command prompt.

I can't find Solitaire or Freecell on Windows 8. Where are they?
    Microsoft didn't include these games with Windows 8, but you can download them for free from the Windows Store. Just search for Freecell or Solitaire in the Windows Store.

To get Windows 8.1 to boot straight to the desktop do this:

1. Right-click on the Taskbar
    2. Go to Properties, and choose the Navigation tab
    3. Under Start screen select “When I sign in or close all apps on a screen, go to the desktop instead of Start”
    4. Hit Apply or OK