music equalizer

Thread: Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8

Upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8

I still have a Windows XP 64 bit machine and I need to upgrade before April 8. What's the best way to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8?

I think I want to upgrade to Windows 8, but some people think Windows 7 is better. Is it possible to upgrade to Windows 7 instead?

Ideally I'd like to upgrade from XP for free - is there somewhere I can just download an upgrade? If I do need to pay to upgrade, what's the cost?

I'm also worried about losing my files when I upgrade. Can I upgrade from XP without losing any of my data?

Thanks

It's not possible to legally download Windows 8 for free at the moment, though Microsoft may release a free Chrome-style browser-based version of Windows 8.1
    Windows XP and Vista users can download Windows 8 (not Windows 8.1) for $119.99.
    Before downloading you should check that your system meets the system requirements - many old PCs that came with Windows XP don't have sufficient memory/processing power/hard disk space for Windows 8.
    The minimum system requirements are:
    1 GHz Processor
    1GM RAM (32-bit machines) or 2GB RAM (64-bit machines)
    16GB of free hard disk space for 32-bit machines, or 20GB for those with 64-bit computers.
    A Graphics card that can run DirectX 9

You should back up your data before upgrading, as you can't keep your files when you upgrade - upgrading will wipe your hard drive. Use an external hard disk, upload your files to a cloud server, burn them to CDs/DVDs, or write them to flash drives.

You can still upgrade from XP to Windows 7, though you can pick up second-hand Windows 7 PCs and laptops quite cheaply now.

Thanks a lot for the help.

I have checked my system and have decided to upgrade from XP by downloading Windows 8.

I've followed your advice and backed up all my important files to an external hard disk drive.

Does anyone have any advice for remediating applications when upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 8 to make sure programs are still compatible?
    Cheers

If you’re thinking about remediating applications you should first test apps with Windows 8 to find out if they are compatible. If they’re not you can modify the application for Windows 8 (if you have access to the source code).

Alternatively you could shim the app using the Microsoft Windows Application Compatibility Infrastructure (commonly known as the Shim Infrastructure).

If there’s no way you can modify the app, consider alternatives—perhaps there is a Windows 8-compatile program that could do the same job just as well. If you really need the app, you could run it inside a virtual machine, but this should only be a last resort.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    It's not possible to legally download Windows 8 for free at the moment, though Microsoft may release a free Chrome-style browser-based version of Windows 8.1
    Windows XP and Vista users can download Windows 8 (not Windows 8.1) for $119.99.
    Before downloading you should check that your system meets the system requirements - many old PCs that came with Windows XP don't have sufficient memory/processing power/hard disk space for Windows 8.
    The minimum system requirements are:
    1 GHz Processor
    1GM RAM (32-bit machines) or 2GB RAM (64-bit machines)
    16GB of free hard disk space for 32-bit machines, or 20GB for those with 64-bit computers.
    A Graphics card that can run DirectX 9

You should back up your data before upgrading, as you can't keep your files when you upgrade - upgrading will wipe your hard drive. Use an external hard disk, upload your files to a cloud server, burn them to CDs/DVDs, or write them to flash drives.

You can still upgrade from XP to Windows 7, though you can pick up second-hand Windows 7 PCs and laptops quite cheaply now.
    Is it enough space for Window? Because when we install other programs or drivers, window starts very late. So, I think.. Hard disk=32 GB, minimum 3 GB ram we will need.